Monday, January 11, 2016

Why allow redos and late homework?

I just had this conversation with my students last Thursday. "Would you do homework if it wasn't counted for toward your grade," I asked my students. Here were some of the responses:


  • "Wait, we get points for doing homework?"
  • "We have to do your homework. If not, we would be totally lost the next day. Your homework is mandatory to know what the heck we are doing in class."
  • "Only certain subjects. It only counts for 10% of our grade, so not that big of deal. Other classes, it counts for 50% of the grade."
  • "Videos, yes! Worksheets, no!"
I asked this question because it never fails that majority of my students do their homework, and it just seems to be unnecessary for me to walk around and make sure they all really did do it. However, I do, because if I assigned it, then it is important. I don't assign homework just to assign homework. There is always a purpose.

The concept that it is important and it serves a purpose is exactly why I allow late homework. When a student doesn't do a video, he/she is asked to leave the room to watch it, so that he/she can be fully engaged with the activity taking place during class time. I don't deduct points because it wasn't done. Once the video is watched, the student is integrated back into the class activity. Usually it only takes once or twice for a student to realize, 10-15 minutes the night before is worth it. 

As for worksheets or other homework other than video, if a student doesn't have it complete when class starts, I ask the student to please complete it later, and once done, to show it to me for full credit. That usually catches the student off guard. "You will allow it late for full credit?" "I assigned it, right? It's important and you need to do it." 

As for test redos, I allow them. I allow students to retake summative assessments. This retake can't happen until a few things are done. The student must write me a letter (and their parents) as to why they should be allowed to have a retake, they must correct all mistakes on the first test explaining all mistakes, they must complete extra practice problems that I assign, and they must meet with me to go over practice problems. When those events are completed, then a retake is issued. I have very few of these retakes, because students realize the work involved and do well on the first test to begin with. Also, because I give so many different ungraded formative assessments prior to giving the summative test, I often know exactly who is going to do well and who isn't. I try to have the face to face conversations with those that won't do well, to help them do well. 

Some arguments that I hear from colleagues is that I am not teaching the students for real life, for college, for blah blah blah. "Would you want a doctor to work on you that has made mistakes," I am asked? Well, yes, I would because he/she had the opportunity to make the mistake prior to working on me, get it right, and I think I am pretty safe. If I wouldn't have had the chance to take my teacher exams more than once, I wouldn't be teaching. I had a grand-mal seizure during the first round, and the test was marked as a failure since I couldn't complete it. 

Stuff happens. Everyone deserves another chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment