Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Challenge Accepted! What the heck did I do that for!

As I sit here trying to wrap my head around the fact that school starts in a week, and the challenge that has been posed to me by someone that I look up to professionally, Cheryl Morris (@guster4lovers) to write my first blog (and publish it) before school starts.



Writing professionally is easy for me.  Tell me what you need and I will write it.  I write quite a few letters of recommendations each year, so that type of writing isn't an issue either.

Writing creatively scares me to death.  I even dreamt last night about writing this post, and it wasn't a pretty dream.  I was made fun of, my admin threatened to fire me because of my poor writing skills, and my husband couldn't believe that I couldn't write.  I don't know why I am scared.  I have never had a poor self esteem or self confidence.  I am a "get'er done" type of gal.  Tell me to do it, and I will do it.

Am I scared to write because I grew up not being able to hear well (I was deaf in one ear, and partially deaf in another), thus making me a not so great speller?

Am I scared to write because my high school English teacher told me that it was good that I was good at math, because writing wasn't certainly my strong subject (even though I graduated having A's in all of my English classes)?

Am I scared to write because you truly are exposing yourself in all ways?  You are allowing your audience to see into what you are thinking.

I don't know and I am not sure anyone else can tell me why either.  However, I have to get over this.  I have to let this fear push me to be a better writer, to make me want to write, and to enjoy writing.

If I expect my students to write, and blogging is a goal of mine this year for my students, I have to write too.

Thanks, Cheryl, for posing that challenge in our #flipclass chat.  I needed to be challenged.  Just suggesting to me to write would not have been good enough.

Here's to a year of blogging, I hope!

4 comments:

  1. Well, Shai, having read this, I too have no idea where that fear comes from. But I can tell you this - your writing is not an issue. Your style is very relaxed, very conversational, and I want to read more. I try to write the same way, as if I were just chatting with someone. Once the conversations start happening, and you feel strongly about what you want to say, you'll forget to be afraid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Audrey. Still can't believe I wrote anything, and still shaking over it, but the hurdle has been jumped. Now, I hope that I can do more. It was refreshing to just sit and write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shai, believe me when I say that it gets easier with time. When I started blogging, I used it as a place for me to truly reflect on my experiences. It has become that AND a place where I can share what is/isn't working for me. Keep it up, blogging has been one of the most important tools I've used that has helped me grow as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo! Good for you, Shai. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete