Monday, January 12, 2015

Help, I am stuck, and I don't know how to get unstuck....

I have had great success with flipping my classroom.  My Advanced Algebra 2 flipped class is going great.  The time spent on WSQs, learning the material, exploring the material, and communicating the math is phenomenal.  The kids love learning in a flipped lesson.  The parents support me whole-heartedly.  That isn't where I am stuck.  It's my flipped mastery class.

My flipped mastery class is my class of remediation.  Every student in that class failed to score proficient on the Algebra 1 Keystone Exam for Pennsylvania on their first try at the test.  They must pass it to graduate.  This class started off well, and the kids loved the ability to tune out everything and just work at their own pace.  In the beginning they reiterated to me often that they appreciated the ability to take their time, and really master the concepts.  The appreciated the time that I spent creating the materials (the note packets, the videos, the practice worksheets, the mastery sheets and the application sheets).  They liked that they always got a second chance if they needed it.

They were completely about one lesson every day or two, and proceeding at a pace that I was pleased with.  However, now, 2nd semester with less than 2 weeks left, I can't get them to do anything.  They claim its too hard, its too much work, its no longer fun.  They want me to just tell them how to do it.  I've tried explaining that telling them how to won't help them on the state test.  They don't care.  "Just tell us, Mrs. McGowan."  I really am struggling with that.

Instead of watching the videos, I have tried games, puzzles, bingo, and even other people's videos that I find on youtube and mathtube.  No response.

Flipped mastery I am struggling with.  How long do I let them struggle?  Do I let them struggle? Should I care more than them?  Do I forget about the mastery part and just move them on so that they finish the topics?  How many times do I have them retake skills?  What is mastery?

I've lay awake at night wondering if I have done enough, or if I have done too much.  I wonder what else can be done.  I wonder if I am hurting their learning by doing flipped mastery.

Help!  I am stuck, and need help getting unstuck.


3 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm not sure I can help here. This is hard. I posted on Brian's blog entry that my students in my mastery courses (undergrad computer science) commented that they need more structure (including hard deadlines). Perhaps throw them a curveball activity to get them out of *their* ruts. Let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ken. After reading so many other's blogs, I think I have what I need to start fresh and to get unstuck. Will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Routine can be amazing, but it also can be a killer. Are there whole-class activities you could do to bring back some fun? Or a unit you can do semi-synchronously to get them engaged again?

    That's a tough situation. Hope you can get unstuck!

    ReplyDelete